Saturday, December 19, 2009

Windows 7 as Wifi AP ?



Just came across a really interesting article which claims the full version (non beta/RC or starter versions) of Windows 7 can turn your wifi adapter into a wireless AP!


As I'm currently running the ßeta at home (sorry for being lazy ;) I can't test this at the moment.
But you are welcome to report your own findings as comment. As soon as I install Windows 7 I'll do a follow up article.
Source: gizmodo.

EDIT: Apparently you have to activate this through commandline (i highly doubt this), but the Jan/Feb issue of C'T magazine mentions you can use Connectify from Nomadio for this. Also edited that vwifi doesn't work in the started edition of Windows 7.

EDIT: Found another article which explains how this works through the commandline: http://erratasec.blogspot.com/2009/11/windows-7-includes-soft-ap.html
Also edited in a little wifi graphic, I plan to add at least 1 image to each article :)

No comments:

Post a Comment